A unique playbook to activate growth, designed by We Are Human, for founders who want to go ‘all the way’ and achieve massive impact.
The quick version
- Today, we’re soft-launching Method, a unique playbook to activate growth.
- Based on everything we’ve collectively learnt and put into practice from growing startups into scaleups over 15+ years (including Kahoot!).
- Our first product focuses on Operations: blending the autonomy needed for entrepreneurial thinking to thrive, with the alignment and learning systems required for growth.
Today, I’m excited to announce we’re opening applications to Method, a unique playbook to help founders transform their companies from startup to scaleup.
Over the last 15+ years, we’ve founded multiple new ventures (including Kahoot!) and invested in many others. We’ve advised (and often embedded ourselves into) our portfolio companies to help them grow and make an impact. And we’ve learned a helluva lot along the way 😅
Our business philosophy and practice have already helped many founders of startups develop their ideas into successful products with initial market traction.
Now, I'm thrilled to share the progress we’ve made codifying a playbook for the scaling journey founders must navigate to go 'all the way' and achieve massive market impact.
Against all odds
Between a growing startup and scaling to achieve massive impact lies a great chasm. Sadly, most high-potential founders and their companies fail to go ‘all the way’.
In fact, only 19% of European Seed funded companies make it to Series A1, and 60% of companies that IPO no longer have a founder as CEO2.
To help founders better navigate the new demands of this challenging phase, we have developed the first product of We Are Human’s scaling playbook.
Scaling for impact
Startups are intentionally dynamic, often bordering on chaotic, in their pursuit of initial market traction. Scaling for impact demands change.
⚠️ Startups can’t grow effectively without some structure and process.
Scaling chaos will only fracture the company. Velocity, and the opportunity, are lost.
⚠️ Too much structure can stifle the entrepreneurial magic that led to early success.
The company quickly loses market relevance and fails to reach its potential.
✅ Method is a unique playbook to activate growth.
Designed by We Are Human, it blends the autonomy needed for entrepreneurial thinking to thrive, with the alignment and learning systems required to transform from startup to scaleup and achieve massive market impact.
I joined Kahoot! as the company entered a period of transition – from being just the founders and early employees to growing multi-disciplinary teams – and led the development of an operating model that would enable our sustained momentum.
Working alongside incredibly talented people, we reached over 70 million monthly active users and more than 1.6 billion cumulative players, growing at a rate of 75% year-on-year, raising $26.5m during that period.
The origins of Method are rooted here. The playbook was further developed alongside portfolio companies to build a systemic and scalable operational framework. My experience at Skills Union informed how we structured content and sharpened our coaching and mentoring methods and practice.
Creating a culture of high performance
Growth is a holistic challenge that requires business functions to unite around a culture of high performance.
At the heart of Method are six topics that founders must excel in to remain successful through the transition from startup to scaleup:
Clarifying your organisation’s purpose, business model and goals and exploring your leadership principles and culture.
Validating your business model, quantifying resources, and identifying commercial risks and opportunities.
Analysing your team dynamics, promoting cognitive diversity and designing an effective and scalable organisation model.
Clarifying your organisation’s strategic scaling priorities then connecting and aligning diverse teams to shared objectives.
Defining and committing to a set of communication rhythms, protocols and behaviours that are focused on growth.
Aligning each individual to organisation objectives then coaching and mentoring them to optimise performance.
Method insights and tools help founders:
- Lead – attract, retain and develop the world’s best talent
- Grow – nurture a high-performance operating culture
- Save – prevent, or delay, the cost of hiring a COO
- Raise – get investment-ready with backable KPIs
Apply for the pilot phase
We are inviting applications from founders of startups who have:
- Success selling to early adopters i.e. a level of product-market fit
- More than 15 employees
- Raised a Seed round
- Started to experience the challenges of growth
It begins with a diagnostic session where you will:
- Start the transformation journey from startup to scaleup.
- Assess your scaling readiness and operational strengths and weaknesses.
- Receive a report to help identify areas ripe for improvement.
- Clarify what's required to successfully raise your next funding round.
- Accelerate learning, avoid potential pitfalls and mitigate risks.
- Identify your scaling opportunities.
Apply to join the pilot phase of Method by We Are Human.
The application form should take no more than 15-20 mins to complete and we hope it's a useful reflective experience for you too!